About YAYASAN BALI PEDULI
BALI PEDULI was formed by a group of concerned Bali residents under the guidance of Dr. Steve Wignall MD. Dr. Wignall is an HIV physician and clinical researcher; National Policy Advisor for M2M HIV policy to the Indonesian National AIDS Commission and Senior Medical Advisor to the Clinton Foundation's efforts to increase access to treatment for HIV+ people in Papua Province. In February 2013, the Government of Indonesia approved YAYASAN BALI PEDULI as a legal charity.
BALI PEDULI has been funded to date by generous private contributions, and grants from AusAID, AmFar (NYC), Mel Wolf Foundation (US) and in-kind lab equipment from Allere Corporation. The Ministry of Health of Indonesia provides free Anti-Retroviral drugs to Bali Peduli.
Donations are welcome and needed to assist in our ongoing work.
BALI PEDULI Mission
To eliminate barriers to care and to provide free and early HIV testing and treatment to save lives and prevent the spread of HIV in Bali.
Why BALI PEDULI?
- HIV continues to expand in many high-risk communities inIndonesia
- HIV rates among drug users are 65-90%
- HIV rates are growing fastest among gay men – from 2% to 18% over the last 8 years
- Estimates for Bali alone are at 15% for men between the ages of 17-25
- HIV rates among female sex workers are 17-35%
- HIV rates among transgenders on Bali are greater than 45%
- Less than 10% of high-risk group members seek testing due to cost, shame, confidentiality and inconvenience
- Most cases of HIV are detected in late stages, making treatment and subsequent recovery difficult
What has BALI PEDULI achieved?
BALI PEDULI was launched in September 2011. Since then Bali Peduli has:
- Opened the BALI PEDULI CLINIC at Bali Medika in Kuta
- Created a network of organizations and projects working on HIV in Bali
- In January 2013, launched an HIV outreach program to serve Ubud/Gianyar
- Current plans to open a new free-testing laboratory in Ubud, May 2013
- Explored opportunities to create a mobile clinic to serve remote villages
Board of Directors
Chairperson : Lily Wardoyo
Secretary : William R Page
Treasurer : Komang Budi Suwardana
Trustees : Peter Beilby and Stephen F Wignall
Andrew de Jong, Paul Laturall, David Mendoza, Marcus Page, Christopher Perks
WHAT HIV EXPERTS ARE SAYING ABOUT BALI PEDULI
Dr. Steve Wignall is the founder and medical advisor of Bali Peduli.
Clifton Cortez works for US AID on HIV